Chocolate Poisoning

Chocolate is dangerous to dogs and fatal to cats. While most healthy people can eat large amounts of chocolate with only dental decay and obesity to worry about, a dog eating chocolate can develop a toxic poisoning leading to cardiac arrest. To a dog chocolate is poison.

Chocolate contains theobromine, a caffeine-like alkaloid that dogs cannot metabolize quickly, allowing it to reach a toxic level in pet’s blood. Dark chocolate has higher levels of theobromine than milk chocolate, and white chocolate has none because it is made from cocoa butter, not cocoa beans. The danger to your pet will vary, depending upon the size and weight of the dog and the amount and type of chocolate consumed. Pet-proof your home and keep anything dangerous out of his reach. You might also consider crate training for the times you cannot supervise.

Dog Ate chocolate! What do I do?

If you know your dog ate chocolate, take him to a vet immediately. The signs of chocolate toxicity include: rapid breathing and/or heart rate

  • diarrhea
  • vomiting
  • excessive urination
  • muscle spasms
  • possible seizures.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>